Thursday, April 12, 2007

California Green Pepper Log 04.12


Its been a little less than a week since my last post regarding peppers... They are looking pretty good right now. Other than I have something munching on them! Seriously, the common Pepper Pests are Aphids, flea beetles, cutworms, thrips, and the whitefly. However when I do my research none of these pests cause the damage that I have displayed here. Feel Free to click on the pic for enlargement.


I am at a loss... they were looking so good a few days ago. I do know that we have a wide variety of lizards in our area. Do lizards eat leaves?



I am off to do more research regarding this irritating problem that I have discovered.



Until the next log.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle, It's your old next-door neighbor Anna. I am so glad you took an interest in gardening. Ever since we moved to New River, the first thing I wanted to do in the yard was start a garden. I have 3 raised beds and a few areas that I ammended and tilled the native soil. I am currently growing potatoes, tomatoes, green peppers, jalepeno peppers, grapes, peas, lettuces, radish, carrots and several kinds of flowers and herbs. My experience with growing peppers and tomatoes from seed is not good. I found that I always start too late and the plants are not big enough to produce anything before it gets too hot. I always end up buying nursey stock that are at least 6 inches tall and plant as early as possible, when the danger of frost is over. You may have better luck in Anthem with sun protection in the hot summer. Another bit of bad news is that in one of my gardening books which uses "companion planting" as a pest/disease control says that you should never plant members of the Solanaceae family together because they share the same diseases, tomato and pepper are in the that family! But I do know someone that does and thay haven't mentioned any problems. Plants that attract beneficial insects that eat the aphids and other bad guys that work well with tomatoes and peppers are marigolds and alyssum.
Happy gardening!